Monday, January 5, 2009

Hey man, ENOUGH with the freaking fireworks, EH??!!

Geez, it happens twice a year. While I'm not trying to be a 'stick-in-the-mud' and agree that it's a person's prerogative to shoot off fireworks as allowed by our society and laws. But DAMNIT!! Shoot 'em off on the day you're celebrating, NOT for 1 week prior and another week after the day of celebration. ENOUGH ALREADY!

There's a guy nearby who loves firing his shotguns, and 4th of July and New Year's sound like a war zone in my neighborhood. Scares the HELL out of my dogs. But now my dogs have been hiding deep in my storage building or following me around for about 2 weeks. They get to sleep inside the house, which they often do on cold nights. Heaven forbid should I actually want to spend the night out or go on vacation during these periods. Nope, I've gotta be RIGHT HERE to shelter my pets. Freaking IDIOTS (fireworks folks, not dogs)! Here's what happens every night, including last night:



On New Year's Eve 2002/2003, my beloved Border Collie, Brembo, escaped my yard and ran about a mile away in a crazed escape from the fireworks. My running buddy, Sonya, likely remembers the somber run we shared for the New Year's Day Cobweb Chaser Run at McAllister Park. Before the run, I walked her over to my truck and pointed out the dead, stiff corpse of my dog. Because of the rocky terrain, it took me 5-6 hours of crying/digging/busting rocks to dig a suitable hole in which to bury her. RIP Brembo:



I went over to a friend's house the other day and they were SUPER BUMMED! Their dog was freaked out by fireworks, escaped, got run-over and killed.....geez...

2 comments:

Membership Required said...

dont forget they let them off for graduation too. At least here in CyFair area. Take it easy. ML

K said...

and if you live in The Woods, it's ILLEGAL!! Doesn't seem to stop the morons though...

I was a hand therapist for a few years and had a front row view to the burns, missing fingers/hands, and other wonderful injuries those things cause. I don't let me kids get near any, not even sparklers!!

My dogs have been cowering in fear all week. Crazy.